Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Out of work? Out of luck.

This week, while 77,000 Texans lost their jobs, Governor Rick Perry appeared at Berings Hardware in Houston and announced that he had decided to turn down $550 million in stimulus money for unemployed Texans.

Berings Hardware is a high-priced house and garden store near the Galleria, the sort of place Martha Stewart would frequent if she lived in West U. or River Oaks.

Berings owners say that new unemployment rules would cost them $1000 per month to cover their 170 full and part-time employees.

Excuse me? That works out to $5.80 per worker. I bet most of them would pay the buck-forty-five a week it cost so they’d be covered.

But don’t miss the big picture. Berings, like many companies, likes to staff their store with part-timers exactly because they don’t have to provide them any benefits.

The hell with Rick Perry, and if Kay Bailey thinks she has to go all right-wingey to beat him out of the governors mansion, the hell with her too. I liked the letter to the Chronicle this morning that said that if Perry had any cojones he would have made this announcement at the Houston Food Bank.

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM , Blogger Julia B. said...

Dear Rep. Davis,
I'm sure you're aware that Governor Perry appeared at Berings this week and announced that he will turn down federal stimulus money for unemployment benefits.
I liked the letter to the Chronicle this morning that said that if Perry had any guts, he would have made this announcement at the Houston Food Bank.
Please do what you can to overcome this wrong-headed and cynical decision by our Governor.
Sincerely,
Charly Hoarse

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Julia B. said...

March 17, 2009

Re: Stimulus Package

Dear Mr. Hoarse

Thank you for your recent email concerning your interest in support of the federal stimulus package. I was sent to Austin to represent the best interests of those Texans who reside in House District 129.

Before making any decision, I consider how my vote would affect the constituents of my district. I will review any upcoming legislation and the information you have provided to me regarding this matter.

I thank you for your continued support, and I appreciate you informing me of your perspective on this important issue. It is an honor to serve as your Texas State Representative and as such, I urge you to feel free to contact my office in the future should you have any other concerns.

Sincerely,

John E. Davis
State Representative, District 129

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home