Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Monday, March 02, 2009

Stop the Presses?



Been hearing a lot about the end of print lately. In one sign of it today, my Monday Houston Chronicle today totals forty pages long. The Business and Metro sections have been combined, including a one-page op-ed section with one editorial, two columns reprinted from the New York Times, four letters, and a bible verse; something about the apocalypse, probably.

NPR had a man that works in home delivery saying that the paper doesn’t weigh enough to throw anymore.

The smart-shopping sirens at my house have always saved enough couponing to make the paper pay for itself, but I have to wonder about buying it for that reason.

I worry for our republic if the electorate gets their information from TV news. It’s bad enough having only one paper in town, I can’t get my mind around the number zero.

3 Comments:

At 4:34 PM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

I'm not adjusting well to this one. When I was a toddler my parents subscribed to 2 newspapers--a morning and an afternoon. The funnies were my primers. Later on I watched global dramas play out, even though I didn't know what the hell was going on most of the time. (Wasn't I surprised to learn how beloved the CIA-murdered Patrice Lamumba was in my dotage!!) Going deep into features and analysis that TV doesn't have or take the time for.

Anyway, I love newspapers--their impermanence, their woodstove burnability, their usefulness in mulching the garden, in shading me from the sun on the beach, along with all that reading stuff.

I'm going to miss them terribly.

 
At 6:38 PM , Blogger Julia B. said...

Tell me about it. Growing up back in Buffalo we had the Courier-Express in the AM and then the Evening News, now the Buffalo News. The long-gone Courier was once owned by Mark Twain.

 
At 8:10 AM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

Glad he didn't live to see it go down.

He was never much of a businessman, I'm told.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home