Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Let There Be Rock


We are the sum total of what we are informed. It seems important, therefore, to be careful about what one is informed about, and not so much as to who one lets himself be informed by. "Trust," is for suckers.

There is a mainstream media in that a relative cluster of people own a concentrated amount of press and TV to the point that they are readily identifiable, and share a number of common interests. They rely on a sense of trust for the sake of gathering in repeat customers. Restaurants, for example, can't serve tainted food and hang around for very long, even with large yummy portions. Or can they..?

Fortunately, the search for information finds an abundance of "facts" to chose from, so seemingly naked of varnish, that the informer almost disappears from casual scrutiny. Why should I qualitatively differentiate between a published headline in the National Inquirer telling me that UFO's are flying over Texas verses the same headline in the Houston Chronicle? At this time in my life I'd rather be entertained.

I remember a "study" in recent years claiming chimps have celebrities just like us. Some number of chimpanzees were shown portfolios of other chimpanzees. The scientists noted that the gang lingered with a few photos over and over. And, when presented with a number of pictures of regular humans mixed with "stars," these experimental monkeys also always picked the celebrities, especially Jennifer Aniston.

What happened to make me watch the faces I trust and allow myself to be informed? Everything would be in a state of harmonious equilibrium if it had not of been for the internet.

I got started blogging basically to throw my poo at anybody who would happen past my monkey house. There were other reasons, sure, but I basically was just talking into a mirror. Slowly, over time I have learned a key secret that I think might be at the heart what bloggers are for.

When the New Hampshire election was happening, I was monitoring things using MSNBC. After Iowa, those guys were dogging Hillary Clinton to the point (IMO) of becoming a shrill attack on feminism generally. By doing my usual visits to various blogs I haunt I could see a similar reaction to mine by bloggers who I trust and admire. Returning to the MSNBC gang I saw a hate filled crescendo becoming almost cartoonish in its naked attack upon the woman and not the candidate. Back on the blogs, one could see the worm turning. I felt the vibe. When Hillary won and the MSM forces of evil were beaten back down by their own hubris, I felt like I was part of an event that produced a real time synergy between media, politics, and the collective consciousness of the country.

Blogging is rock and roll. Blogging is Elvis. Rock and Roll is/was real people taking what they have and creating media they want, that speaks to their souls; that speaks the truth; that has no rules, that honors what it is to be human.

The MSM is Sinatra, and modern jazz, and Leonard Bernstein, who create within an orthodoxy and claim power by nature of their discipline.

The monkeys aren't that in to you guys anymore.

LD

1 Comments:

At 3:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What gives with you and that Charly guy always going on about monkeys and making with the monkey pictures and all? I think it's about time we call in Dr. Zaius.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home