Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Keep The Babies Warm


I was super lucky to get an advanced copy of the new record from The Service Industry (TSI) called "Keep the Babies Warm" due for release on November 18th.

I give it a rating of 10 1/2 shaved spam bunnies wrapped in steak-ums. It's that yummy!

The playa's: Mike McCoy, Hunter Darby, Andy Thomas, Robbie Araiza, Julie Lowery, and Travis Garaffa. They are from Austin (whatever that means) but I've a sneaking suspicion they might be from Smithville, down the road.

People, I need to preface my remarks by reminding that it's real hard to make a record album that incorporates everything a record can be; that is, concept, message, and execution.

Keep the Babies Warm, reminds me at times of Apples in Stereo, The Lemonheads, The Byrds with moments of rock n roll played authentically with great passion. But to throw down labels for this group is to suggest their sound is derivative of a genre that often leaves listeners reminded of shopping for lawn furniture on heroin. A pleasant experience, but ultimately not something very substantial in terms of its residue.

So, what is delightful to me is that TSI has found a way with excellent results to create lush (and at times) meaty arrangements as the underpinnings to their concept and message: we're screwed (Liquid Meat; Filing Deadline), and while we are at it, maybe we should take a look at how we got to this point (Oh I; My Rise to Greatness; Tool; Keep the Babies Warm), and who we'll miss once it happens (Churchy; Sea World).

It is interesting how we discover this truth, because Keep the Babies Warm cover art and graphics suggest a light-hearted send up, Uranium Savages style - a novelty record to make us snicker, but this evident silliness is misleading; that's not what we get once inside of Mr. McCoy and Co.'s music and lyrics.

I am reminded of the anonymous co-workers, man and woman, trapped in the twin towers, surrounded by flames and smoke, high above the city, jumped in tandem; holding hands. I'd like to think they did not know one another, rather were bound together by their humanity, and were able to fly away - and in so doing delivered the greatest lesson: we always transcend bad stuff by embracing our humanity.

This is the third record for TSI. Keep making records, guys - you're good at it.

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM , Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Tagged. You're it.

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

Cat,

I've played this before. It's fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home