Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Friday, October 31, 2008

Democracy Coming to the USA?

I just came back from the local library branch, returned “Three Cups of Tea,” the second season of “The Wire,” and picked up the latest George Pelacanos novel. Our branch has been an early voting location, the lines this week have been longer than I’ve ever seen them. Today, the last day of early voting, they’ve been even longer, wrapping up and down the entire front of the building and around again back to the front entrance. These folks must be waiting hours to vote.

Something new this year. Early voting is usually a GOP thing, with the God, Guns, and Gays crowd clutching the slate cards they got at church. This time, 42% were Democratic primary voters, and only 20% voted the Republican primary.

Might be that even Texans are ready for some regime change.

4 Comments:

At 4:10 PM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

Chief,

Halloween without our little kids is sad. I carved an Obama punkin last night, but your punkin photo teh funniest.

Early voting here is packed. It seems like they never have enough for the poor sections of town, even though they know how many voters might come. Isn't that the greatest equality issue of them all - the right to be as least restricted as our wealthy counterparts on voting day?

The phenomena you are witnessing reminds me of my grandmother telling me, "Democrats have jobs." The cranky retired, shut-ins, and wing-nut security moms with the ability to phone Rush Limbaugh have had America up a tree for 20 years.

I've been thinking late;y about how we have over-used superlatives so much like antibiotics that we've squeezed all the meanings out of them. If Obama wins on Tuesday I won't know any word that describes the feelings I'll have all at once. The fine word-craft you have displayed this election year has been so eloquent and heart-felt, that I haven't had to think about better words to use. Thanks for the excellent work.

Sublime. That might be the word I'm looking for Wednesday morning.

Happy Halloween!

LD

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

Hiya guys--I'm going nuts in these closing days. Have been down with the flu and as a result have too much time on my hands. I surf around and tap into fivethirtyeight.com about 20 times a day.

Truly ready for the funny farm. But before I go, I have to know our guy is headed for the White House.

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

lulu, I'm kinda losing it myself. I pray to Jeebus that news of closing poll numbers is election hype. Keep your fingers crossed.

 
At 7:05 PM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

p.s lulu I hope you feel better.

p.p.s. Studs Turkle is dead at 96.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home