Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Democracy Comes to Clear Lake

We had some fun in my neighborhood last weekend. You see, the maintenance association here held elections recently and the race for Oakbrook ended in a tie, 72 to 72. The board, who ousted a dissident member last year, voted to seat the incumbent, George Muths. George voted to seat himself. The challenger, Roberta Toppin, had to sue the association to force them to follow Texas election law and hold a runoff election.

I was nervous about the runoff. In the days before the vote, hundreds of yard signs appeared in the neighborhood. Mr. Muths also had a website, where he claimed to not be influenced by any political party, while he pointed out that his opponent, Ms. Toppin, was a democrat and a precinct chair. (Democrat! Mercy, she might be a Stalinist, or Satanist or something.)

The runoff was Saturday, but it wasn’t until Monday that we heard the results through the grapevine. There were as many early votes as total votes in the original election. Mr. Muths more than doubled his total. But Ms. Toppin almost tripled hers. Got to vote for a winner for a change. The board will be installing her tonight. Next, they’ll be ginning up some scheme to remove her, but for now the people have spoken. I’m proud of us the way I was when we crossed party lines to vote for Bill White for mayor, just because he was the superior candidate, or when Tom DeLay had to look for votes up in LaPorte, because people here already knew him.

Viva la revolution!

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

There's nothing quite as satisfying as puncturing a windbag.

Congratulations!

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Nails said...

Those neighborhood assocatians have so much power in Texas, I think they can take your house and throw you out on the street. Most of the advice I have gotten is to get involved, vote in the elections and go to the meetings. I think it is true that facists love to be left to their own devices, and apathy is a hearty vote in their favor. Democracy starts at home. My neighborhood association sued me for a minor deed restriction violation. I paid them two times, each a little more than the previous, but either they were too inept to cash the checks or they were deliberately comitting extortion. Eventually we came to an agreement that I wouldn't sue them if they stopped hassling me for checks they couldn't cash. I ended up paying them $0. The lot of these cronies got voted out in the next election - people had enough, got involved and kicked the inept facists out of office.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home