Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Chupacabra Report

More news that gets my goat:

Now that the state legislature’s been hung up wet, it seems strange to be reading about the Children’s Health Insurance Program, but it’s still in play in Washington, where the House has voted to increase funding from $25 billion to $75 billion over the next five years. The Senate’s version calls for a $35 billion increase over that period. (Our senators have split on the measure, with Cornyn voting against, of course.) President Bush is threatening to veto any bill that adds more than $1 billion per year.

Congress intends to pay for this measure by cutting subsidies for private Medicare insurance plans, and by increasing the federal tobacco taxes. I have my doubts about funding this worthwhile program with sin taxes. If the goal is worthy, I say we should pony up and pay for it, and not rely on human weakness to pay the fare. Plus, there’s not that much sin to go around. Soon the state and federal authorities may resort to making book on monkey knife fights, like Homer did on Burns’ yacht.

I relish the anticipated Bush veto as I expect it will incite the voters to throw republicans out of office next year. But you could make the case that halfway measures like CHIP only postpone the day when we join the rest of the developed world and provide universal health insurance. In this light, every unreasonable action by insurance bureaucrats, and each slimy move by Pharma execs, hasten the day when we get a workable and affordable system.

I recently heard of a congressman who decided to forego congressional health care coverage. Rep. Steve Kagen, D-Wis. said “I will not accept health insurance coverage until everyone I represent in Wisconsin and across America is given the same opportunity.” Fair enough, if we can’t afford health coverage for five million poor children, why are we supplying it to 535 congressmen making $170,000.00/year.

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

I can only hope it will incite the voters to throw out the Republicans (or throw them up, I don't care.)

Have you heard the latest rhetoric among the Repugs? Their latest line is Democratic Nanny government, and they all write it and go, yuk yuk like they've said something incredibly witty.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home