Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Trash Talk in Houston

Mayor Bill White is asking for input on his proposed garbage fee, but first I’d have a word with some of the other 2 million citizens of Houston.

Bubba, it’s not my business if you want to drive your SUV to WalMart every week, filling the coffers of Petro-Despots who want to destroy us, and exacerbating our trade imbalance with China so they’re better able to pull the rug out from under our economy whenever they like; just so you can buy a bunch of over-packaged crap to take home and then put all your old crap out on the curb twice a week to go to the giant landfill that you don’t have to look at, smell, or even think about.

I just want you to be paying a gas tax, carbon tax, garbage fee, and whatever other costs you run up. Many are already paying for this in blood.

Now, for the Mayor; I suggest a system that I observed in that bastion of plutocracy,
Farmers Branch, Texas, where the G-men only pick up trash that is bagged in the official trash pick-up bags sold by the city. The bags could be priced to cover the price of picking up and disposing of your household trash, plus any costs of operating and maintaining the neighborhood recycling center, which, unlike curbside collection, has the possibility of paying for itself.

This would equitably distribute the costs of trash disposal between those who put out hundreds of bagsful every year and those who put out tens.

1 Comments:

At 7:47 PM , Blogger Nails said...

Here, here Judge! I am proud of the fact that my curbside garbage output dwarfs that of my neighbors. I also think that I am paying WAY MORE per pound of garbage to have mine collected than my neighbors. Some have the nerve to literally line their driveways with 20 or 30 plastic bags full of yard trimmings for pick up. After wasting perfectly good mulch and having me pay to have someone pick it up, they go down to Home Depot and buy fifty bags worth of mulch, then throw out the bags it came in the next week. Don't even get me started on the fertilizer that gets spread on lawns. The bags end up in a landfill somewhere, and most of the chemicals run off into the watershed. I can think of better ways to spend money than a neon green lawn and subsidizing my neighbors’ conspicuous consumption of disposable goods.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home