Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Monday, August 22, 2011

America meet Rick Perry

This from Peggy Fikac in The Chronicle:


Lest we think politics is all games, a KIDS COUNT report released last week, and reported on by my colleague Gary Scharrer showed an aspect of Texas that Perry's unlikely to highlight in his presidential race. One of every four Texas children lives in poverty, and Texas has the worst rate of “food insecure” children in the country — one in four children live in homes in which their parents don't know where they'll get their next meal or how they'll pay for it. It reminded me of a post on the Capital Area Food Bank's website under the haunting headline, “Ten-year-old Jose stays active to prevent thinking about hunger.” It quotes the child: “Sometimes we don't have that much food. I just play some board games or I sleep, or do something active so I don't think about it. We're just trying to get the family to keep on going.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home