Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Star Island


“Jimmy Campo and his partner had been summoned to treat a twenty-two-year-old white female who had swallowed an unwise mix of vodka, Red Bull, hydrocodone, birdseed and stool softener – in all respects a routine South Beach 911 call, until now.”

This is from the opening to the latest Carl Hiaasen novel “Star Island.” When the library notified me that my copy was in, I ran right over and grabbed it, because I was almost through with “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.” Are you a Hiaasen fan yet? I suggest you check him out. But don’t just take my word for it, the great and funny Dave Barry, when asked if he was writing a new novel, said no, but it’s OK because you can read Carl Hiaasen’s books instead. He writes comic novels set in Florida, perennial contender for the craziest state in the union.

If this book runs true to formula, a pair of hapless strangers will be thrown together in conflict with a nasty ex-spouse, an evil developer, and some stupid crooks. They will probably find love, save some near-pristine wildlife habitat and turn the tables on the bad guys in the end.

Don’t miss it.

3 Comments:

At 6:51 PM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

I like Carl Hiassen,and another Floridian (now living in NY) Karen Ruseell. See if you can get her collection of stories, St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves. She's wild!

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Lulu Maude said...

Whoops... that's Karen Russell.

I never did take a typing class...

 
At 2:23 AM , Blogger Julia B. said...

I'm nuts about Florida Lit. -Tim Dorsey is another fave, we're still speculating on who is gonna play Serge in the movies. Of course John D. McDonald is still the king.And have you read "Naked Came the Manatee?"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home