Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Thank You, Iowa


I knew that I’d be up late tonight to hear the results of the Iowa caucuses, and the virtual three way tie on the Democratic side was happy news to me, as I hope for the process to play out until a real winner emerges, ready to whip up on the Tories next November.

I have to wonder what conclusions Time Warner, Disney, Viacom, and News Corp want me to draw from the results because it took me a little while to find the information I was looking for tonight. Finally found it on the UK Guardian site: Republican turnout was less than one half the Democrat’s record 232,000 voters caucusing last night. It’s better than that when you consider that the GOP works with ballots but the Democrats have to assemble, bunch up, count, figure, divide, and regroup for a couple of hours before they get their results, as Texas caucus goers know. (Think Will Rogers’ “I don’t belong to any organized political party, I’m a Democrat.”)

So next week we’ll hear from New Hampshire, a whole new ball game. Their crossover friendly open primary draws a bigger slice of the electorate, a more mainstream sample than the corn fed wingnuts that hold sway in Iowa. Can’t wait to see who the big fish in this small pond turn out to be. You see, I don’t just want my candidates to believe in evolution, I want to see them practice it.

3 Comments:

At 3:10 AM , Blogger Julia B. said...

Look at the results by percentage of the total vote:

Obama 24%
Edwards 20%
Clinton 19%
Huckabee 11%

 
At 6:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don’t just want my candidates to believe in evolution, I want to see them practice it".....
HA! excellent - it should be a bumper sticker.

Well, coming from the great white north, where Hillary's done zip for WNY during her tenure as the honorable Senator from New York, I was glad to see she might be a teeny bit humbled...

I still don't see any of these three as having enough salesmanship and creativity to win the election, except Mr. O, who has the wrong color skin. I don't think America is reddy to elect 'one of them' to be "Mr. President". Shame.

The only hopeful bit is that the Reps. have such a weak selection of candidates, at this point anyway. Must keep in mind, though, that they will 'develop the character' of the candidate over the next 8 months, re-forming him and molding him, and that, come November, the voting public will forget everything they've ever known up to the last week before the ballots are cast.

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

M-H,

I think you are right.

Typical of my stripe of social progressivism (cough!-pussy!)I worry how much is really true about the possibility of Obama being unelectable because of assassination or racist voters, and how much Hillary is baggage; vs., self-delusion from the residue of my racist/misogynous upbringing.

Down south here is an element of so-called "Reagan Democrats" who are basically bigots and would not vote for a black man, but ironically, would vote for someone like John Edwards.

Go figure.

Stay warm,

LD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home