Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Monday, December 17, 2007

Why I Love Bloggers


----- Original Message -----
From:.
To:
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:43 AM
Subject: General, about your blog...

My Brother in Christ,
I would enjoy reading a serious opinion peice from you on the subject of whether or not Mit Romney's faith is a relevant issue in his capaign for president.
Warmest regards,
LD

----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
.
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: General, about your blog...

yes, i should do that. I think i discussed it a little bit awhile back when I wrote about Nephi stealing the brass plates and murdering Laban in the Book of Mormon. If you are or were Mormon, you'll understand the story's relavance, It essentially about the end justifying the means--very consequential means in the story. The key piece of scripture in the story is "It is better that one man should die than for a nation to dwindle in unbelief." That's a very important scripture and concept in Mormon theology and, as we've learned over the last 7 years, a very dangerous belief for a president to have. If Mitt is a true believer, I don't think we can trust him with the power of the presidency.
What is your interest in this?

----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: General, about your blog...

Bro. JC,
I am a WASP raised Presbertyrian (sic?). My only contact with LDS folks was some neighbors down the street whose garage was filled with sacks of flour, powdered milk and shovels, and whose (peculiar smelling) adolescent daughter would kiss but never put out. In Houston back in the seventies a squad of vicious murderers from the polygamous wing were wacking excommunicated members around town (1974-75?) which peaked my interest in the interesting skisms afflicting the faith. I was surprised to learn of thousands of LDS living all over northern Mexico, and have met some of the flax-haired brothers down in Piedras Negras.
So, although I have attempted to read the so-called Mormon Bible, (that the girl gave me) I am not fully informed.
My specific purpose for asking you this now is 1. this morning Atrios cussed the whole issue of Mitt addressing his faith in a "Kennedy-esq" speech as stupid and irrelevent; and, 2. although you are plainly the top political humorist in the country right now, I really find your broken character, from the heart stuff to be very, very good, and given your proximety/personal history, I sense that an essay from you on this would be highly influential nationally; AND,
I WANT A PAIR OF MAGIC UNDERWEAR.
Washed in the Blood of the Lamb,
LD


----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: General, about your blog...

i can't find anything on atrios site. do you have a link?

From:
To:
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: General, about your blog...



Good morning,
Oooops. I, of all people, shouldn't make a spurious citation. My apologies to Eschaton for this error and to you for sending you down a blind alley. I knew it was either the Bible, H.L. Menken, or Steve Allen (ahem).
However:
http://www.burntorangereport.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=4361

All of this to say, let's stop talking about Romney's religion. The fact that it offends our sense of reason and common sense does nothing to distinguish it from the ludicrous superstitions professed by his colleagues in this endeavor to be president. There are a myriad of reasons to oppose Romney-the fact that he is a corporate robot who will say anything to win election to prominent offices he can then use to make money for private interests, too slick by half, for example-we needn't drag his faith into the matter. The obsession over it all is not only symptomatic of our personality cult system of post-democratic politics in this country; it is symptomatic of our recently acquired obsession with religion in the public sphere. Both are immense threats to human freedom, almost as bad as insisting that our head of state profess belief in a particularly notable imaginary friend.

(Andrew Dobbs, 11/14/07)

Nevertheless, BOR is a progressive establishment blog and expresses a widely held view, I sense. Like Michel Malkin, my defense would be that just because Atrios didn't write it doesn't mean he isn't actually thinking it!

Mr. Dobbs uses the word "obsession" twice, which is a word best left to subjects like salted meats and pie. This passage is another example of why progressives get stomped by republicans, especially since said menace aren't going to keep religion out of the campaign just to alleviate "immense threats to human freedom."

You are a great American, sir,

LD



Today from Jesus' General:

Mitt Wept


I really don't like to do these posts--they aren't what this blog is about--but like Mitt, I think it's important to understand Romney as a person of faith, particularly since his faith is bound to affect his presidential decision making. As a former Mormon from a very pious "old Mormon" family and a former "Seminary Bowl" (like college bowl) champion, I think I understand Mitt's beliefs better than most of you. I certainly understand them better than the media and every blogger I've read.

I feel like I must comment on Mitt's confession that he wept when he heard that Blacks had finally been given the priesthood, an honor that had been given to every 12 year old white boy since the Church came into being. I'm sure Mitt hopes that we'll all believe he cried because he was happy that an injustice had been righted, and I think many people will be fooled. But the truth is Mitt, as a true believer, would not have thought it was an injustice.

I knew a lot of Mormons who wept with joy when they learned of the revelation. I saw them tearfully bearing their testimonies at the first Fast and Testimony Meeting after that. They did so, not because an injustice had been righted, but because a prophecy was being fulfilled. Mormon doctrine held that in the last days, God would lift the curse He levied against Blacks for being indecisive in the heavenly war between Jesus and Lucifer and allow them to hold the priesthood.

I am certain that Mitt cried, if indeed he did cry, for the same reason. As a true believer, he would not, could not, believe that the denial of the priesthood to Blacks had been wrong up unto that point. To do so would have meant questioning God, because the ban was scriptural in origin. It's found in The Pearl of Great Price (Abr. 1 21-27), one of the four "standard works" of Mormonism (The others being The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Bible.)

Labels: This Mitt Believes
posted by Gen. JC Christian, Patriot | 12:33 AM

On behalf of the People, thank you General.

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM , Blogger Julia B. said...

Ervil LeBaron’s minions were murdering “apostates” in Houston as late as 1988, one of them an eight year old girl who witnessed her father’s murder. We bought a washing machine from one of the Chenoweths at the shop where he was killed.

While we’re on the subject of cults, I would like to suggest that we treat Romney like we should have treated another so called leader, David Koresh, by calling him by his given name. I can’t believe he could have caused so much trouble if he’d continued to be known as Vernon Howell. Now everybody: Willard Romney, Willard Romney, Willard Romney. Enough of this and maybe he’ll take his slick pandering down the road.

I’ve always found it interesting that the Church of LDS originated in Western New York, just like me. Since the nineteenth century, the area has been home to the Chautauqua movement, various utopian communes, and so many revival movements that it was known as the “burnt-over region.” Texas doesn’t have a monopoly on religious nuts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home