Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Texas Outlaw Politicians (are pussys)

I was thinking this morning while waiting for the bus how miserable it must be for the homeless these days on account of the weather. There isn't shelter space for everybody, and some street people won't go into one no matter what.

My friend George, who was homeless for 18 years, is trying to quit drinking, cold turkey. He has been drinking for 45 years. No doctor will treat him because he admits to drinking everyday. I think he wants to join the human race, but there are hurdles to overcome besides his own. He can't get any help because doctors have the same bias that ordinary people have; they see street people as untouchables.

The problem with doctor's attitudes about this is that Medicaid in Texas won't pay for mental health treatment, including drug and alcohol treatment programs, even though there is plenty of our money the Fed offers for these programs that Gov. Gayhair refuses to accept. The state has an obligation to provide these services but no one ever calls Ricky on it. Check it out:

42 USC Title XIX ยง 1396.

Appropriations or the purpose of enabling each State, as far as practicable under the conditions in such State, to furnish (1) medical assistance on behalf of families with dependent children and of aged, blind, or disabled individuals, whose income and resources are insufficient to meet the costs of necessary medical services, and

(2) rehabilitation and other services to help such families and individuals attain or retain capability for independence or self-care, there is hereby authorized to be appropriated for each fiscal year a sum sufficient to carry out the purposes of this subchapter. The sums made available under this section shall be used for making payments to States which have submitted, and had approved by the Secretary, State plans for medical assistance.

I have a saying, "You're crazy and you become homeless; you're homeless and you become crazy." It's true that most homeless are mentally ill, or have substance abuse problems, or both. If there are no programs to help them what is expected to change?

2 Comments:

At 11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so true; if you're indigent its hard to get care even if funds have been allocated. Salvation Army offers an alcohol treatment program in most larger cities for the homeless or those with low income. Hope it works out for george.

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

Anon,

Thanks for your kindness, really.

I have written about the Army in the past to condemn some of their policies and practices. So, I am hardly the person who could objectively render any comment about SA.

However, I have been unable to find any clinical studies as to the effectiveness of their "program" for rehabilitating chronically severe alcohol and substance abuse. I'm sure it works for some guys, but in terms of efficacy it is not a 12-step program that could exist as a baseline for any general estimate. Personally, I would find it hard to come up with the $10 a day it takes to stay there.

If I wanted to be someplace where they take all my money; can't trust me with the tooth paste or the toilet by myself; that threw me out during the day, all day, until dark, only to be breathalized and tossed on the street if I have a beer - I'd just stay home. ;)

LD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home