Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bob Nixon: Hitler Youth 1931

I thought about this story today.

In about 1997 or so, I was judging a high school debate contest at Jefferson High School in SA. While milling about in the upstairs foyer in front of the library, a child pointed at the wall of former student council presidents and exclaimed, "hey, there's a nazi up there."

Sure enough, it was Bob Nixon, Student Council President, 1931, in his hitler youth uniform.

I called the Jewish Defense League, a Miss Gold, I recall. She just laughed at me. I told her I was not a nut, (I lied). She explained to me that the swaztika can have myriad uses and have multi-cultural significance. That is was used in a great deal of pre-columbian art, and had similar significance in Hindu culture as representing the wheel of life.

That picture is probably still up there on the wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home