Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Monday, March 01, 2010

Texas not number fifty after all

The Chronicle reported today that Federal officials have issued a waiver that will allow food banks in Texas to process foodstamp applications.

“During a mid-January visit to Austin, the top federal official overseeing the food stamp program said Texas ranks last among the 50 states AND U.S. TERRITORIES in processing food stamp applications and also does a poor job getting eligible people to apply.

“In Texas, about 40 percent of food stamp applicants are not getting processed within the 30 days required under federal law, the worst record of any state. About 3.3 million Texans received food assistance last month — up from 2.3 million in the fall of 2007, before the economy crashed.

The Houston food bank provided help for 865,000 people last year, but only 23 percent received food stamps, although the vast majority likely were eligible.”

-Todays Bible quote comes from Matt 25:40
“Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

1 Comments:

At 5:51 AM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

Judge,

You know what they say about feeding strays....

Seriously, SA Food Bank has grants to provide case management assistance for Medicaid, TANF, and food stamp claims. I have referred three families last year inside of a month. Since they all told me that no one ever returned calls after the intake process, I have to assume that something like that really happened.

I don't blame the food bank for being overwelmed. It's the state's fault.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home