Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chupacabra Report


News that gets my goat..

While Senate Democrats wait to swear in a new Senator from West Virginia, so that they can break a Republican filibuster holding up an extension of unemployment benefits for a million out of work Americans, Republicans continue to play to their troglodyte base, saying that unemployment is a disincentive to work.

These folks are still fighting the New Deal. If they could, they would end Social Security and the Minimum Wage too, if not the Thirteenth Amendment.

I was talking about this around the shop the other day, and somebody commented that “if you can’t find a job in Houston there’s something wrong with you.”

Maybe so, but what do you say to people in Nevada, or Michigan, or any of the sixteen states with double-digit jobless rates?

When I was downsized by the Cosmodemonic Computer Company and was out of work for three months with Cobra payments, a mortgage and a baby on the way, I learned that looking for work is like a full time job. I remember getting an offer from a company that ran a high-rise condo tower for millionaires. The salary would have meant a heinous pay cut that would have kept me underwater as long as I stayed there. We had a family meeting and decided to stick it out until something more suitable came along. We could do that because of unemployment compensation.

Digby today quotes Mitch McConnell ranting about the President asking taxpayers for $34 billion more in deficit spending to continue paying unemployment benefits. At the same time, he wants to extend the Bush tax cuts that have already given a $2 trillion in tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans.

Rush Limbaugh is calling unemployment “welfare.” Somebody ought to ask him how many months he collected “welfare” after the Kansas City Royals front office let him go. See if he lies about that too.

The GOP thinks that they’re going to take over the Congress this fall. I hope the voters are wise to how the party that put this country in the ditch is now standing in the way of the folks that are trying to do something about it.

2 Comments:

At 1:39 PM , Anonymous Elmo said...

When Enron dumped us all on the street in 2001, I qualified for a TX unemployment benefit that was almost enough to cover the payment on our modest 1600 sq. ft. house. It didn't cover COBRA payments. It didn't cover groceries, utilities, gasoline, car insurance, or any of the other items on a normal household budget. When I had the opportunity to take a shitty job that at least had a health insurance plan that would cover my children, I took it even though I knew I would still have to keep looking for real work.

NOW Mitchy-Mitch McConnell is saying that the Repugniks would have happily supported a bill if it was only "paid for". I've got a way to pay for it. Repeal those tax cuts a few months early.

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger Julia B. said...

D'accord, Monsieur Elmo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home