Zippidy Doo Da

I'm not stupid, I'm from Texas!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike and Relate



As I predicted, Hurricane Norman ravished Houston last weekend, leaving the cityscape looking like the victim of a bad haircut. After two days of cleanup, the cut tree limbs line the streets rowed up four feet high like green snowbanks. Our power was restored after about 48 hours, but probably half the city will still be dark tonight. Luckily, we’ve had two days of bluebird weather, with nighttime lows in the 60’s, suitable for sleeping with the windows open.

Thing One and I both were in the city riding it out, while the other two Sirens sheltered in place on Mermaid Lane. They were able to save my guitar, but may have done so in anticipation of some firewood shortage.

I can tell you that the hurricane sky shows green when lit by lightning.

There must be thugs and grifters at work out there, but I’ve seen nothing but love going around from family and friends, neighbors and co-workers. For somebody who wonders if our future includes handbasket conveyance to nether regions, this is a sign of hope for us if we were to face economic collapse or ecological disaster.

3 Comments:

At 7:02 PM , Blogger liquiddaddy said...

Judge Hoarse,

You were MIA there for a while. Very Glad to see you back and that the family is safe and sound.

They say that Rice is up and running. I guess every thing's all right.

Is anybody able to explain where are those people who road it out? So far, it is you and about 3K others, leaving a substantial balance.

LD

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger Julia B. said...

Some rode, others no doubt rowed, and then some hit the road. Last I heard, they were still evacuating Galveston today. I have scrubbed my usual Wednesday surf fishing trip on account of martial law.

 
At 11:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see Hope in times of struggle, eh?

Glad to hear you're all ok, and that the firewood didn't run short.

Best of luck in the coming weeks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home